Monday, September 15, 2008

WIND!!!

Yesterday the power went out at church. When we got home, our power was out and stayed out 'til around 8:23pm. We are the fortunate ones. School was canceled today (even the University!), and even businesses are STILL without power! It gave me a bit of a chance to think about what it would be like not to have electricity, HOT water at the turn of a handle, cold food. What would I cook in? What would I cook with? What would I cook, period? A few days without electricity would probably send me over the edge (and except for wind, the weather was really nice)! I have always been aware of and grateful for conveniences (including electricity) and I just had to -what is the word or phrase?- um.... I don't know. I just am SO grateful that we had power before we went to bed. Also, I have received 2 specific and 3 other phone calls asking if we are okay and have power. My ward is GREAT (and very small)!
I would like to think that we would be fine without power but I won't lie to myself anymore, I LOVE ELECTRICITY!!!
I learned that I don't have enough candles, probably too few matches (to last days), not near enough batteries, not enough fuel for the camping stove, not enough patience (for days), not enough pots (to warm water for baths, etc. or for cooking), probably not enough games (that don't need batteries or electricity). I also found out that time does not go as fast when the power is out. I think that is fact and not a figment of my imagination (or lack thereof).
We had branches blown down all over our little backyard. No damage to the house. We're very blessed.
We've been taking care of our friends' goats and chickens while they went on a road trip for a week. They have lots of branches down in their backyard but their animals are doing well and all the fences are intact. Their power is still out, though. They live just less than a mile (on winding roads) from us.
Yeah, I milked a goat and the kids collected chicken eggs and even watched the hens lay eggs as well as watched them mate ('what are they doing?' 'that rooster's mean!'). Ahhhh, life experiences. You don't learn that in a classroom!

2 comments:

Jamie said...

Hi Minetta! So I found out about your blog and I am loving it! It is so nice to hear about your family, it make you seem less far away.
Wow! No electircity is an adventure. Every time it storms Addie hopes the power will go it, she thinks is will be fun. She might find out otherwise someday. Luckily we don't often have very bad storms here. Just the probability of a huge mother of all earthquake someday! No big deal right!!

I'm Always Rite said...

Glad you guys are okay. :) We had the same winds. Si's school was still closed today. I hope he gets to go tomorrow. :] We only had a vent fly off our roof and scratch the van. Lots of people here had entire trees fall through their homes. :\ Glad you're all okay!