Friday, November 7, 2008

Food Storage

Food Storage is always on my mind and the church has some great deals. Some things you can find cheaper elsewhere but almost everything the church sells is the best deal (especially when it's stored properly and can last for SO many years!).

So...while the price of wheat went up, the price of powdered milk went down drastically! This tells me I need to make a trip to Columbus to the cannery to get more food (especially milk as the price may not last)! I'm talking, it used to be $7?.?? for 25lbs and now it's $4?.??. That's a BIG difference. Just look at the price list here .

Fortunately, for me, Eric bought his new gun and I, therefore, get the same amount of money to use for food storage! Now...how do I want do divvy out the money?

I do know one thing, I want to can it there and not at home (which does increase the price a little, not to mention it's time-consuming). I've heard iffy stories about the success of storing the food in 5 gallon buckets (I LOVE buckets), but I NEED the food to last as long as it can and I'm not sure about those buckets that I used dry ice with. I pray over my food storage. Do you?

With the way the economy is, and SO many people losing their jobs, I KNOW that this is truly important and am SO grateful for prophets who have made us aware of its importance for SO many years. Who doesn't feel better when they are prepared!?! Besides, natural disasters can happen anywhere at any time and is no respecter of persons. Who doesn't need to be prepared? Just this summer we lost power from a hurricane! Mind you, we live near Cincinnati, Ohio (nowhere NEAR the gulf) and the wind was so strong it knocked out the power. For some people up here, the power was out for a week. We were fortunate to only be out for about 6-8 hours (in our newer neighborhood). Someone in our ward that lives less than a mile away (by road, not by areal distance) had power out for 4 days!

I read on the church website that they wanted people to show pictures and share experience with food storage so here's my "mite". (The pictures will add the much needed thousand words to describe).

Want to learn more about the church I refer to? Go here.

Yes, I will have pictures but they may come a little later. (I know you hate it. Sorry).

No comments: