Saturday, July 19, 2008

My Emily, and then some...

"You are the bestest, best, best one ever!" That's the love I get from my 3 1/2 year-old. I love it when she looks me in the eyes and tells me that and then gives me a great bear hug (really, she wraps her arms AND legs tightly around me) and , oh, I can feel the love and I eat it up. She has done that a few times this week and I sure needed it. She is such a doll-baby. But, you know, 3 year-olds don't always say the nicest things.
Yesterday she was "really mad" that her helmet would "not let her put it together" so she started saying "STUPID, stupid helmet" and grumbling (which is kind of funny to hear a 3 year-old do). I was sad that she was so upset and using a word that I don't like my kids to use (especially at 3 years of age). So I helped her get her helmet on. Well later she was getting herself a drink of water from the fridge door (I LOVE that feature) and in a really annoyed, exhausted voice said "GoD" with a REALLY pronounced "d". In shock I said (rather loudly) "What?!!!" (not that I wanted her to repeat it, which fear did cross my mind after a second). And I told her that we don't talk like that. I sense that she knew that she was doing something wrong (although she doesn't understand how wrong) but she was trying to express herself and that's what came out. Isn't TV (and quite frankly, public) wonderful? When I told Eric about it he said "Where did she get that?" then we watched a movie and evidence is all over the place. Where would she NOT get it? That's the question.
Which brings me to another annoyance. Has anyone else noticed that the new PG is like PG-13 and the new PG-13 is like the old R? Case in point: I was watching "Becoming Jane" (rated PG) with all four of my children when we saw two bare bottoms we had not planned on seeing! What a shock! Then, we rented "Fool's Gold" (rated PG-13) we were watching when we were shocked by being flashed in our own family room!!! Oh the outrage that went through my body. After entering through my eyes to my mind, then to my heart and stomach I swelled with rage at the people who rate these movies now!!! They need a new WARNING label or something saying "PG is not what it used to be" and "PG-13 is not what you thought it was"!!! Who in their right mind thinks it's okay for a 13 year-old to see that?!!! Can you tell I'm disgusted?!!! I'm 30 and it's not okay for me to see that! Okay, I'll back away from the rage, now.
Back to my sweet Emily...I think she's great and I love that she thinks I'm "...the best, best , best one ever!" And I love that she grabs my face in her little hands to turn my head so she can kiss me on the cheek (she won't kiss my lips. I think it's cute). Life's hardly dull or too mean when you've got a little one around.

3 comments:

Kerilee Law said...

I feel the same way about movies. Here is a website some of my ward members led us to...
kids-in-mind.com
It breaks down sex/nudity, violence/gore and profanity. It also warns you of substance abuse and any worrisome messages the movie may portray. It's awesome!!

Kristin said...

I got the same website reference as Kerilee from people in my ward... it really does break it down for you, but beware of spoilers. It's probably worth the risk though!

WAY cute about Emily! I love the moments that make being a mother worth it!

I'm Always Rite said...

It is odd how the ratings games have changed. Did you know that Sixteen Candles was R? Today it would be a borderline PG/PG-13. Can we get back to the innocense of the 80s. ;)

Emily is such a little doll! I'm so excited we're going to be close enough to hang out! :)

3 weeks!!!!